My first 2017 Q2 FAL is #3 – a 1 Hour Basket by KelbySews for a swap I’m in. I finished this on 04/03/2017 but am just now getting around to writing about it. When I seen Three Dandelions Shop on IG post the swap I was excited at the possibilities of how to personalize the basket. My inspiration came directly from a mini quilt that was posted on IG in a mosaic.
This is NOT my mini, nor photo. I have no idea who’s beautiful mini quilt this is. If you know, please let me know so I can credit them. This image was posted on a profile as part of their inspiration mosaic for a swap (not for this swap either).
I did switch it up a bit from the picture. Instead of the blocks they used, I did mine using HSTs. After graphing it out, I determined that I needed to have 4 blocks tall and 7 blocks across to make the 10.5″x16.5″ panel I needed for the front panel. Going to my container of random 5″ charm squares I pulled out all the blues I had. After sorting them by value, I narrowed it down to the ones I wanted to use. 2 extra light, 4 light, 4 medium, 4 medium dark, and 2 dark. Then it was time to make the HSTs using the method where you sew around all 4 edges and then cutting them diagonally to end up with 4 HSTs from each 2 charm squares. After playing around with the layout, I sewed them all together.
Not wanting to have to deal with loads of ends to tuck in from the quilting, I decided I’d quilt first and applique after. I have to tell you, I’m so happy I did! I did the quilting with just the top panel and the fusible fleece ironed onto the back. After the quilting was complete, I appliqued the two turtles onto the panel.
After that, I simply followed the directions for the rest of the basket.
I’m very pleased with the way it turned out and I hope my partner will be too!
For this swap, we’re also supposed to fill the basket with $15-20 worth of goodies for our partner based on their likes. The first thing I did was to notice the little corners that were cut off and wonder what I could do with them. I decided they would make cute little pin cushions and most of the work was already done.
There were 2 sides already sewn together so I simply sewn up the 3rd,
turned it inside out, stuffed it with the rest of the scraps from this project, folded the raw edge in and hand sewn it shut.
I did this with both corner scraps and now have 2 cute little pin cushions that cost me nothing more than a few moments of time to add to the basket for my partner.
Now to go shopping for the fillings! Till next time I hope you have a wonderful productive day.